BBC Inside Out - 10 top tips for using social media to your advantage when applying for a job
- 06 Feb
Neil Edwards appeared on the BBC's Inside Out programme on 6 February discussing the use of social media profiles in the recruitment process. He was also on BBC Radio Sussex and Bright FM in the morning discussing the same topic.
If you are currently applying for a job, here are our 10 top tips for using social media to help you win the position you want.
1. Be aware that prospective employers will search for you online. Don’t panic – instead use this to your advantage.
2. Polish your LinkedIn account before applying for any jobs. LinkedIn is your virtual CV and will give people looking at it an idea of your contact base and your experience.
3. Be one step ahead. If you are applying for a job – follow the business on Twitter, ‘like’ the company Facebook page, and follow the company page on LinkedIn before you meet them. It shows that you’ve done your research and you’ll gain some useful knowledge about the company, which you can drop into the conversation.
4. Maintain your presence on Facebook and LinkedIn. Contacts count and can be remarkably helpful as you develop your career. The old adage that it's not what you know, it's who you know, is true and it's never been easier to keep in touch with friends and contacts.
5. Look for jobs on Twitter, Facebook and LinkedIn. Employers will often post their vacancies on social media to attract applicants.
6. Don't put anything on your social media accounts that you wouldn't be happy to see on a billboard outside your home, school or work.
7. Be professional at all times in your approach to social media. Don’t swear or voice extreme views that may offend. Remove any photos from Facebook which show you in a particularly bad light (the odd photograph of you out having fun shouldn’t do any harm).
8. Don't criticise your current or previous employers - it might be freedom of speech, but you are asking for trouble. If you talk about work, make sure you don't breach any confidentialities.
9. Although words are often shortened to ‘text speak’ in social media – try to avoid persistent spelling mistakes and bad grammar wherever possible. This will avoid your command of the English language and general attention to detail being called into question.
10. Finally, remember that first impressions count. Your social media presence is your personal brand. Protect it at all times.
Watch Neil on iPlayer (5 days)
Listen to Neil on iPlayer (6 days - go to 02:25:00)
- 23 Jul
SharpSpring recently announced the launch of their Visual Workflow builder. The new feature intends to make the process for creating workflows easier and brings it in line with the likes of Pardot...
- 17 Jul
Malcolm Gladwell, in his book Blink, argues that the lengthy procrastination that often takes place in decision-making is ‘post self-justification’, because we actually make up our minds pretty...
- 23 Jun
A news article came out through the Bangkok Post (we found it through The Verge) last week about the arrest of three Chinese nationals. The trio had been paid over £10,000 a month to run a...
- 17 May
Financial services marketing agency, The Marketing Eye, has appointed Jason Dilworth to the new role of Technical Director in a move designed to expand and develop the company’s data-driven...
- 24 Apr
For an industry whose origins and continuing existence rely heavily on the accurate analysis of statistics, the insurance sector would do well to note the seismic shift taking place in modern...
- 19 Apr
Asking someone to buy your product or sign up to your service after only one mail-shot or email is unrealistic. We can’t expect that one email, no matter how carefully crafted, will be enough to...
- 24 Mar
So, your business has splashed out on a big, beautiful high quality piece of video content, you are going to want to stretch it as far as it will go, right? Then don’t do what everyone else does...
- 23 Feb
With around one-fifth of the world’s population on Facebook, you would think generating brand awareness and leads from it would be a piece of cake. The reality is less straight forward. With a...
- 14 Feb
Marketing automation systems are powerful, intelligent and the bedrock of many businesses' marketing strategies, but getting to learn and understand them takes time and dedication. Not becoming...
- 08 Feb
If you look for evidence of the potential benefits to B2B organisations of social media, you will see both lead generation, as well as brand reinforcement are being addressed to great advantage....